Steps to make reservations
1. Review house rules (non-negotiable).
2. Select/Decide on desired event/rates:
. . . a. Flashlight tour.
. . . b. Mini-Investigation.
. . . c. Public Investigation.
. . . d. Private Investigation.
. . . e. Special Event.
. . . (Please be sure all participants meet age restrictions).
3. Select an available date for your visit. Calendar of Availability.
4. Make reservation, via
. . . a. Online calendar(preferred).
. . . b. Call us at 855-55-SPOOK (855-557-7665).
5. Payment (prepayment, in full, required before reservation is confirmed).
. . . a. Paypal (preferred, via Online calendar) :-]
. . . b. Cash (in-person, do NOT mail cash!)
6. Download and sign release waivers (must be presented arrival to property).
7. Familiarize yourself with our download;
. . . a. Floorplans
. . . b. Reference Sheets
. . . c. Release/Waivers
(for more details, Click here):
1. ALL visitors require signing waiver upon entry. Download here.
2. No smoking in house. (smoking must be at least 8ft from entrance)
3. Be MATURE and RESPONSIBLE. (Um… If we need to explain this, don’t bother coming to this house.)
4. No illegal substances/activities at/on property.
5. No weapons/firearms of any kind allowed on property. (None/Nada/Nil/Zip/Zilch! Our mission is to introduce you to ghosts, not becoming one.)
6. NO ENTITY CLEANSING, PASSING-ON, BLESSINGS, ETC…
7. Every person must wear SHOES of some sort while in the house. (Preferrably soft-soled ‘tennies’/sneakers). This is not a cemetery/graveyard, but an indoor location. There is no need for hiking boots here. No ‘crocs’, flip-flops/sandals, ballet slippers, etc… no ‘open-toe’ footwear; It must cover toes, have a ‘soul’ (er, we mean sole), and strap onto your feet.
8. Respect the property and other guests (Yep, this IS part of being mature and responsible).
9. No chicken mutilations allowed… (Goats, maybe, but no chickens!) [Don’t ask… Something about the owner saying a chicken might be his reincarnated uncle..]
10. Heed all other rules for if you’re caught breaking any of them, you’re out, losing any monies paid.
NOTE: Due to recent (and long-time occurring) events, guest/visitor consumption of alcoholic beverages is no longer permitted on-property.
*Reservations required for all events*, not all events are offered all night.
Flashlight Tours $10/person
History and lore of the property, house, and occupants. Included is a brief overview of paranormal activity. Tours at 8pm or 9pm (depending on sunset) via reservations only. Check our upcoming events page for next scheduled flashlight tours (usually 3rd Friday of the month)
Mini-Investigation $20/person (2hr), $30/person (3hrs),$40/person (4hrs)
Same as Flashlight tours, but guests are allowed to conduct their own mini-investigation for 1 hour after the tour . (1 hr tour + 1 hr mini-investigation = 2 hours in house). NOTE: These events are available on select dates throughout the year, such as, but not limited to; 3rd Friday of each month, Persimmons Festival (last full week of September), and during October/Halloween season (October), etc… Check upcoming events for dates.
Access to entire house. Note: This option is only offered on nights that private investigations are not scheduled. This option includes flashlight tours. No sleeping on premises. NOTE: These events are available on select dates throughout the year, such as, but not limited to; 3rd Friday of each month, Persimmons Festival (last full week of September), and during October/Halloween season (October), etc… Check upcoming events for dates.
Private Investigation (Details/Description) $300-400/night (see below)
Access to entire house. Other than host(s), no other occupants for entire night. (For up to the 10 persons (maximum recommended). Addtl. $20/person over 10 ppl.,Maximum of 20 persons). Flashlight tours are provided at start of investigation.
Sunday – Thursday nights $300/night
8pm – 6am (next morning)
Friday/Saturday nights $400/night
8pm – 6am (next morning)
Sorry, we no longer offer “rooms”, but check back soon, we may bring this back!
NOTE: For safety concerns, some areas/rooms may be inaccessible during renovations.
Calendar of Availability
. . Flashlight tours: 8+ years
. . Mini Investigations: 18+ years
. . Public Investigations: 18+ years
. . Private Investigations: 18+ years
. . Dr’s Quarantine: 18+ years
. . SPECIAL EVENTS (Like October 30/31st): 18+ years
. . Due to the nature of the above listed activities (and the sheer volume of persons in the house in close-proximity), ALL participants MUST wear some form of strapped, closed-toed, shoes (no crocs, flipflops, slippers, etc…)
Flashlight Tours (1hr):
* Take a flashlight tour through the “4th Most Terrifying Place in America” (Travel Channel, October 2010)
* Learn about the house’s history, legend/lore, paranormal activity.
Mini Investigations (3-4hrs**):
* Investigate the paranormal activity with Whispers Estate.
. (Includes Flashlight Tour).
If you have any questions or comments regarding our services, please check our FAQ, here [broken]. Got a question not covered in the FAQ, please contact us via one of the below methods.
Hours of Operation (via reservations):
Sun – Thurs 8:00pm-6:00am
714 W Warren Street
Mitchell, IN 47446
phone: 855-55-SPOOK (855-557-7665)
email: Ghosts [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
media [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Please note: This is for professional media inquires only (TV/Movie, radio (including web-radio). Other forms of medium, (YouTube, webisode, etc) please use Ghosts [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Gwen Gwen [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Sondra Sondra [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Adrienne Andi [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Van van [AT] WhispersEstate [DOT] com
Ghosts [AT] whispersestate [DOT] com
Whispers Estate is located just off Indiana SR-37 in Mitchell, IN. If you have any questions related to our location, please call us at 855-55-SPOOK (855-557-7665), and we will be glad to assist you.
Get Google Maps Directions, from these neighboring major cities (links open in new tab/window)
…Or, click below to get directions from your location
About the House
Whispers Estate was built in 1894 (earliest discovered records).
In 1899 (or 1901, depending on which source you reference), Dr John and Jessie Gibbons purchased the house from the original owners, Dr George and Sarah White. Dr John and Jessie Gibbons reportedly adopted abandoned/orphaned children. One of these children, a 10-year old girl named Rachael, started a fire in the front parlor, being badly burned, and died 2 days later in one of the upstairs bedrooms. But, you can still hear, and sometimes see, her running around the house today.
A 10-month infant, Elizabeth, died in the master bedroom of unknown causes, but there’s still the scent of baby powder, and you can sometimes still hear her cries.
Jessie died in that same bedroom after a bout with double-pneumonia. Guests sleeping in that room often awake to labored breathing and coughing. Some even report feeling as if someone is sitting on their chest. The most common paranormal activity in this room is the closet doorknob will frequently jiggle for a few moments, stop suddenly, and the closet door will pop open. The maximum reported count for repeatable occurrences is 5 within a couple minutes. this of course required persons in the room to close the door each time.
Dr Gibbons was a prominent doctor in town, having his office in the 1st floor rooms in the house. Given the time period and medical field, it is likely many patients died there during his practice of ~26 years.
Stories of subsequent owners/occupants suggest others have encountered their own demise, such as a gentlemen in the 50s/60s that died in the upstairs bathroom, a young boy that died from falling down the front staircase (recently spoke with the relatives of this little boy; got name and keywords), and more.
In 2006, The previous owner bought the house after being vacant for a few years. During its restoration, strange activity started to occur. Activity in the house continued, and even increased, subsequently earning the name ‘Whispers Estate’ after guests repeatedly reported hearing disembodied voices whispering in their ears.
The current owner 1st visited the house in September 2007 as part of an event night for the Mid-South Paranormal Convention. 5½ hours into the investigation not a damn thing had occurred. Then, without wanring, the fit-hit-the-shan and they almost soiled themselves twice that night! They returned almost every other weekend for the next 4 months, at which point they contacted the then-owner about purchasing the house
Since 2006, the house has been investigated by numerous paranormal groups as well as visited by psychics & demonologists. It has been featured on numerous TV shows, multiple documentaries, specials, radio shows, etc.
There are supposedly 4 graves in the backyard, not including, what psychics have called, a pit-grave which they say contain amputated limbs, internal organs, aborted fetuses, etc…
There is reportedly a portal/vortex which runs up through the house from the front parlor into the 3rd floor room/attic. the room in the attic is said to be the heart of the house. Guests that are brave enough to sleep in this 3rd floor room report horrible nightmares and sometimes hear something trying to get in the room via the door (door knob jiggling).
Visitors have reported sighting a shadow, which is now called ‘Big Black’, an entity which psychics says ‘is not of this world’. While most commonly encountered in the doctor’s rooms, it has been seen throughout the house.
Guests have experienced earthquake-like tremors while in Doctor’s bathroom… No… not ‘those kinds’ of tremors… we’re referring to tremors of a paranormal origin.
EVP sessions have revealed many entities in the house at any given time, But you don’t always need recording equipment to hear these disembodied voices at Whispers Estate. Many young women have reported hearing Dr Gibbons whisper in their ears, as well sometimes grabbing/gropping them.
Guests claim to see the beds/couches visible shake, while still others sleeping on beds and couches have reported having them shake violently…..
(Often, guests decide they’d rather sleep as close to the front door as possible, just in case…)
Investigators often do ’rounds’ throughout the house at different times throughout a night. Sometimes, upon leaving the servant’s quarters, just after the last person exists the room, the solid, heavy, wooden door slams with unrestrained force by unseen presence.
There are times when guests notice pleasant smells of baby power drift throughout the house, but the scent of pungent cologne/aftershave, cigar/tobacco, rancid meat/cabbage, dirty medical bandages, and more are not uncommon.
Guest have reported their recording camcorders being moved by an unseen presence, thereby disturbing the viewpoint of the intended target.
If you’re not completely freaked out, and think you have what it takes to spend a night here, please contact us to make a reservation, to have for yourself,
…a paranormal experience at Whispers Estate.
Whispers Estate is a beautiful 3,700 sq. ft. Victorian home nestled in the pleasant city of Mitchell, IN. Aside from offering visitors a friendly atmosphere and a place to relax and unwind, it is one of the few places you can go that the walls actually do talk!
“Whispers Estate is one of those places that every ghost hunter wishes they had in their neighborhood” -Brett Pittman, Haunted Indiana Paranormal
“I’ve got to say that half the time I was in there I felt like a gazelle at a watering hole. Like the whole house was stalking me.” -Joshua Trowbridge, Facebook
“…I’ve been to lots of other places ghost hunting, but this is the first place I’ve visited where I’ve actually been scared.” -Natalie Giles, Salt Lake City, Utah
Whispers Estate has been featured in the numerous media, including:
- Film/DOCU – When the Walls Talk: The Whispers Estate Documentary, Crimson Night Productions, March 11, 2017
- TV – PBS (WTIU), The Weekly Special, 2-part “1o2” / “2o2” aired: Oct 30, 2014
- TV – DEST Channel’s, “Ghost Stalkers” (Series-Premiere), aired: Oct 19, 2014
- TV – Wave 3 TV Newscast (Lousiville) , 2-part report (story) aired: July 29, 2014
- TV – HGTV’s Special “America’s Spookiest Homes” aired: Oct 22, 2013
- TV – BIO Channel’s “My Ghost Story: Caught on Camera!” (Episode #74) aired: Sept 21, 2013
- TV – Ranked 4th “Most Terrifying Places in America” by Travel Channel (Top 13, aired Oct 29, 2010)
- TV – Travel Channel’s “The Most Terrifying Places in America” (volume 5, aired Oct 8, 2010)
- Film/TV – Ghost Stories 2: Unmasking the Dead, which has aired on PBS, A&E, etc…
- Book – Haunted Hoosier Halls: Indiana University – by Kat Klockow (16 pages on Whispers Estate!)
- Book – Haunted Travels of Indiana– by Mark Meriman (19 pages on Whispers Estate!)
- TV – SyFy Channel’s “Children of the Grave”
- Video – Dozens of videos on YouTube
- Radio – Dead Speak Radio
- Radio – Ghostly Talk radio
- Radio – Eerie Radio(Spooky Logistics)
- Radio – Ghostman and Demon Hunter Show
- LiveSciFi.TV 1st visit (2008) 1o2 & 2o2 (please be patient), and recently (2016)
- Book – Ghost Hunter’s Guide to Indianapolis– By Lorri Sankowsky and Keri Young
- Book – Unseenpress.com’s Encyclopedia of Haunted Indiana– By Nicole Kobrowski
- Tours – American Hauntings Ghost Hunts
- News – Channel 13 News, WTHR
- …And, countless paranormal groups’ investigation result pages far-and-wide!
Unique visitors as of Friday, May 22, 2009
<td class=”TextObject” style=”background-color: transparent;” width=”905″><img src=”http://006.free-counters.co.uk/count-041.pl?count=whispersestate&cntvisible=no&mode=noscript” alt=”” /><span style=”font-family: ‘Courier New’, ‘Lucida Console’, Courier, Monaco, Monospace; font-size: 8pt;”><strong> Total </strong> visits as of Friday, May 22, 2009</span></td>
Total visits Friday, May 22, 2009